When making a U-turn, you must
- Ensure it can be done safely.
- Use your indicator to signal your intentions to other drivers.
- Give way to all other vehicles, cyclists, and pedestrians on the road you are turning into.
You MUST NOT make a U-turn when
- You do not have a clear view of approaching traffic or it interferes with other traffic.
- At traffic lights, unless there is a ‘U-turn permitted’ sign.
- Where there is a ‘No U-turn’ sign.
- On freeways, including on and off ramps.
In Western Australia only – U-turns are allowed over a continuous white line.